Don’t worry ! Its Just a Fibroadenoma

Dec 2015

Just like any other 29 year old I was enjoying my life to the fullest and believed that I was in complete control of my life. Moreover I had just shifted back to my home town a year ago after living in the City Of Dreams for about 10 years. I was 18 when I moved out to pursue my higher studies including a typical MBA in Marketing, landing up in a job with top FMCG company in India with a category that I loved the most – Beauty & Cosmetics , everything seemed to be per plan. A busy lifestyle- attending Fashion shows, beauty product launches, makeover trainings, traveling across the country for growing the beauty business were activities that filled my day and so my love for make-up grew. Always amazed at the idea of how it can transform an individual instilling one with confidence.

I was thrilled to be heading the region, staying at home and spending time with family which I missed over the last decade. I was still having a hangover from the Dubai trip I had in November and was already planning for a next holiday soon. The travel freak that I have always been never leaving an opportunity to explore. Somehow that’s the one thing that always keeps my sense of wonder alive even today.

It was somewhere in first week of December that I felt a very small lump on my left breast during shower . Wait What ??? yes you heard it right a lump on my breast. Panic stricken as I could be not realizing what was happening was quick to act as a self-diagnose myself and was convinced it was CANCER. Next few days went in trying to feel that lump a little more and wondering what the hell was that.

Spoke to one of my colleagues who I was close to and she mentioned it could be because of hormonal changes and just wait and watch. Another 3 more days and I had to tell my mom and siblings about it … I somehow gathered the courage to do so. Everyone of course was concerned and jumped in to action takin the front seat . They were quick to get an appointment with a general physician who was a close relative who also suggested I get an Ultrasound done the very next day….Goodness gracious I hated hospitals , clinics , doctor visits and looked at every opportunity to avoid any associations with side of the world .Phew !!!

Finally next morning my brother & I went to a diagnostic center where I requested that a lady doctor perform my ultrasound – I dint even really know very well what that was considering how naïve I was to medical terminology. Waiting in the room and changing onto a gown there came Dr Lucky (the name I will never forget ) smiling away and asking me to lie down and feel comfortable. While she was trying to check the area and me pointing out, I was peeping into the screen (by then last night I had already referred to Dr Goggle and figured out how its going to turn out to be on the ultrasound screen ) and knew that lump was there. Looked like a dark black round area and of course my heart was somewhat pounding in my mouth. She was chatting away with me asking since how long I feel it , my last periods and small talk like that and finally said “you will get the reports tomorrow . Tomorrow ??? Can I not know what’s going on today itself ? Unfortunately I had to wait.This was the longest wait ever…

17th Dec 2015 I did not have the courage to collect the report so my brother went alongwith the reports and consulted the physician. I waited at home with bated breath and a lot of butterflies running in my stomach. I get a call from my brother and he says “ It’s nothing to worry ,the doctor has confirmed it’s a benign condition.”

Finally when he came home he also got a strip of Vitamin E which I would be having everyday for next 5 months.I still had to check the report myself to convince me its nothing . The report mentioned I had the lumps in both the breasts measuring 11mm & 1cm which is Likely to be Fibroadenoma & suggest a follow up .

I heaved a sigh of relief and was elated. That feeling cannot be put in words when the exact opposite of what you think happens.In this case it was not Cancer.

Thank God it’s just a Fibroadenoma !!!

My learningThere are additional tests which are required to confirm a cancer .I suggest to get it checked even if it shows up as a benign one on imaging tests. Be 100% sure as early diagnosis saves lives.

8 Likes

You’re a true inspiration to millions of people who are hoping to beat the odds and come out stronger.

May God bless you with good health and prosper always.

4 Likes
Copyright © 2021 Avanti Cancer Care. All rights reserved.