My Life's Journey

My life’s journey has been amazing, although it was difficult as well. It was the time when my father was diagnosed with cancer. The main problem started when my parents’ money got over. My mother once told me that she used to give coconut water to my father as suggested by the doctor, but because of the financial problem, it was really difficult to even arrange such a small amount of money for the coconut water. That was truly heartbreaking as I was not able to bear to see the condition which my father was in. At that particular point in time, my husband and I were in a bad financial condition, but couldn’t see my dad suffer, so we sold the only property we had to support my father.

During that time, I along with my family was travelling to Indore from Bhopal and I suffered from fever and my left side of the head was constantly paining even after medication. After reaching Indore, my husband left me and my sons at one of his friend’s house and went to get the property papers prepared for the sale. Hardly 5-10 minutes had passed when I lost control of my body. My hands, legs, and even my abdominal portion were shaking badly as if someone was dribbling a ball. Furthermore, my voice started fading out. I was awfully scared and in complete shock. My sons and my friend were traumatized. My younger son started crying as he was frightened. My friend called up my husband. He came back in a few minutes and immediately called the doctor, who then stated that it was a minor paralysis attack. Everyone started rubbing my body with oil and my body slowly was in control.

We rushed to the hospital immediately after that. We consulted the doctor who advised an MRI to know the cause of the Paralysis attack. As soon as the reports came out and we saw them, the ground slipped from under our feet. I was diagnosed with a brain tumor and was required to go through a major operation urgently to remove the tumor.
On one side, I was going through this financial condition, and on the other side was my father’s health. I had to overcome all of it. We both were in critical condition. The doctors told my husband and my brother that the operation was risky and could even be a “life or death situation”. He even said that one side of the body might not work for a long period. We were terrified and lost.

We came back to Bhopal and consulted my uncle, who was our family doctor. When he consulted the other doctors for the next step, they advised that we can wait for another two or three months to proceed with the operation. But when I saw my family members, especially my husband and my sons, who were upset because of my health, I decided to go on with the surgery at that time. My cousin brother who is also a doctor told me before the operation that my right portion will not work for some time as it will take time to heal up my wound.
On 4th January 2006, before the operation, I was made bald as it was my brain surgery. My whole family was outside the OT even my father came to visit me who then came into that room just to talk to me before the operation. I told my father that I will come out as fast as possible and we will go home together. He was the strongest man at that time I have ever seen in my life. When I told him that I’ll come back soon, he just hugged me and smiled without shredding any tear. My surgery lasted for around 2-3hours and was successful. I was doing fine. When I came to my senses I found that my right part was not responding, but I knew that before, so I was prepared and was not that much scared as understood that this was just for a while and everything will be fine again. On 7th January which happens to be my birthday, the hospital was filled with my friends and my relatives and they all bought flowers with them and my whole room was filled with those beautiful flowers. I felt so special on that day. I was surrounded by such wonderful people in my life, who care for me so much.

Three months after the surgery was the toughest phase of my life. I was recovering well, as a physiotherapist used to come to my house daily to make me work on my hand and legs. After some time my friends suggested me to join back my school teacher job because I was going into depression, as I was not able to walk till that point of time. Even my doctors told my husband that he should now allow me to join the school so that I can start working. It was difficult for me to start my job as my right portion was still not working properly and I looked so different as I had lost my hair and had a big scar on my head. I still remember that I used to push my leg with my hand to walk and even my hands were not working normally as they used to and wonder whether I will be able to walk or use my hands like a normal person or not? Irrespective of all the issues, I always kept my willpower strong that I will be completely normal again and will be able to do everything which I used to do before the operation. Everyone used to stare at me in school and some people even used to say to me, “What happened to the poor child.” I never used to like such comments which were filled with sympathy and never wanted to hear them as they made me feel like I was handicapped, which I was not in my head. Such comments affected my willpower my health started going down. So I decided to take leave from school for a few more months. Then one day I saw my sons who were very young at that time, working for me I felt guilty for not being there for them which they deserve. I decided to bounce back as soon as possible and live a joyful life so that my family can be happy. I joined the school again and one of the senior teachers and my principal at that time gave me full support. Students used to laugh at me as I wore a scarf on my head to cover my scars. My confidence was lost and assumed I was not looking good. It affected my work also. In a year, I recovered quite rapidly and got all my senses back in my hand and legs.

I started living the same life I used to before the operation. But after a few months, my father’s condition was getting worse day by day. I used to commute between Ujjain and Bhopal many times to visit him. He passed away in 2009 as his condition was critical, and was in severe pain. Even after being diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, he survived for so many years because of his willpower. I was broken at that time. But God had many more obstacles in my life and in 2012, I had severe pain in my stomach and I took every medicine which I could to reduce the pain but none of it worked. I was admitted to the hospital, the doctor suggested me to get a sonography done. The report showed multiple knots in my stomach. Further tests revealed cancer. Another shock for us. It was the first stage. The doctor kept me under observation for a few months and as the knots were increasing, chemotherapy was decided in 2014. After the chemotherapy, I had such painful blisters in my mouth that I had tears even when I used to drink water. I couldn’t eat anything. That was a miserable time for me and I was on the verge of break down. For the first time in my life, I cried in front of the doctors and even my uncle who is a doctor himself. Even the high doses of medicine were not helpful. My pain was increasing day by day. I had to stop with the chemotherapies and told the doctor that it was getting difficult for me to take chemos further. Few tests were done and the knots had neutralized for that time. Things were good and my health was better for a few years.

Recently in 2020, my cancer cells developed again, and I have again been diagnosed with stage 3 cancer so had to go through all the chemotherapies again. I used to listen to songs and dance while getting the chemos to relax as everyone was stressed. After getting the therapies, I got boils and blisters all over my body, especially on my legs. I used to be up all night because of the pain and immerse my legs in cold water to cool down the burning sensation. I started working for at least 8-9 hours per day and almost recovered from the therapies. What to say-Then I was tested positive for covid-19. My whole body used to ache; I wasn’t even able to stand as I was in so much pain. God willingly, I managed to recover from it. Even though I still have weaknesses from Covid, I manage to work 8 to 9 hours per day.
I had overcome all diseases because of my willpower. On top of that I had the full support of my family and my friends.
My sons are my Pride. I am always able to bounce back because of them. I invariably think if anything will happen to me what will happen to them. I believe I am very important in everyone’s life. This vision boosts me up and am back again. The most precious person in my life is my husband who always cares for me with a pure heart full of love. My parents’ blessings are always with me.
Lastly but a very significant fact is that if we maintain positive thoughts we can handle any hardships in life.
God bless

8 Likes

Sapna, you have been my idol. Your courage, energy and the fighting spirit have been second to none. You have been a superwoman and surely would be inspiring loads of people who are currently fighting at there respective ends. Keep Shinning - Very Bright.

2 Likes

You are a true warrior.An inspiration for a number of cancer fighters.God bless you.

2 Likes

Your support is always there to maintain my will power.thanks for being there in my life. Dr.kabir .

3 Likes
Copyright © 2021 Avanti Cancer Care. All rights reserved.