World Cancer Day February 4th

Today February 4th, 2021 is a landmark day for the cancer communities across the world. Exactly 21 years back, at the turn of the millennium at the World Cancer Summit (Paris), a decision was taken to celebrate this day as the World Cancer Day to raise the awareness of cancer, to encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment.

The primary goal of World Cancer Day is to significantly reduce the illness and death caused by cancer. The cornerstone is to unite people across communities and countries. These international collaborations would educate the people and raise awareness, pressing governments across the world to act against the disease. By doing so it aims to save millions of preventable deaths each year. Also, the impetus is on targeting the misinformation and reduce the stigma associated with Cancer.

The other very important aspect of this day is to acknowledge the huge contributions made by our cancer warriors (patients & their families) and celebrate their vigor, attitude, and immense resolution in the fight against the menace.

It is important to understand that World Cancer Day is a campaign built to resonate, inspire change and mobilize action long after the day has passed. It acknowledges that everyone has the capacity to address the cancer burden. We can work together to reduce the cancer risk factors, overcome the barriers to early diagnosis and treatment. It would translate to improved cancer control and reduce premature mortality from the disease.

I am & I will

Today, we mark the third & final year of a comprehensive and structured campaign (2019-2021) which was aimed to progressively increase our intensity to have a meaningful impact against cancer. The common theme for these three years has been I am & I will. A multi-year campaign along with its sub-theme offers a chance to create a long-lasting impact by increasing people’s participation and collaborations to build global awareness and impact-driven action.

1. Commitment to Act: 2019 spearheaded the first year of the three-year ‘I Am and I Will’ campaign, where people were encouraged to take the pivotal role to reflect on what they could do to reduce the impact of cancer for themselves, their community and the wider world. This theme serves as a powerful reminder that no matter who we are, we all have a positive and important role to play in creating a world without cancer.

2. Progress is Possible: 2020 was a historic year marking the 20th anniversary of World Cancer Day. It was a chance to look back and celebrate the past progress made in cancer control as well as a clear opportunity to look forward to the next decade and beyond. This year saw supporters and leaders around the world reflecting on the definitive actions needed to accelerate the combined efforts in our endeavor for a world without cancer.

3. Together, all our actions matter: This is the final year of the ‘I Am and I Will’ campaign. It shows us that our actions have an impact on everyone around us, within our neighborhoods, communities, and cities. More than ever before our actions are being felt across the continents and the oceans. This year is a reminder of the enduring power of cooperation, collaboration, and collective action. When we choose to come together, we can achieve whatever we all wish for: a healthier, brighter world without cancer. Aptly said- Together, all of our actions matter.

To conclude; World Cancer Day is one singular initiative under which the entire world can unite in the fight against the global cancer epidemic. We need the commitment of each one of us to create a cancer-free world. Whoever we are, our actions - big and small - will make a lasting, positive change.

We at Avanti, celebrate the spirit of World Cancer Day and its goals. We echo the collaborations at all levels and across the divides and boundaries. We dedicate the vision and this very little efforts of ours to all the wonderful people and their families whose life has been touched by cancer. These people are the flag bearers of our mission and a source of inspiration for the collective endeavor to make our world, cancer-free.

We all are Stronger Together.

3 Likes
Copyright © 2021 Avanti Cancer Care. All rights reserved.